Dental implants are one of the best options to replace missing teeth. Implants are made of Titanium and other durable materials, and last for a lifetime if they are well maintained.
Dental implants are screw like metal posts that act like roots for artificial tooth. Implants are installed inside or on the jaw bone and fuse with the bone overtime. However, to improve the durability of the dental implant, it is necessary to take proper measures. Your orthodontist who installed the dental implants in Limerick will give you guidelines to clean and maintain your implants in good condition.
Maintaining dental implants is necessary to ensure that they are free from plaque and bacteria. Bacteria in gums can cause infection and diseases such as peri-implantitis. This disease causes the bone around the implant to become weak and leads to implant failure.
It is essential to get the mouth professionally cleaned to maintain good oral hygiene. The dentist will use special cleaning appliances that do not scratch the crown or implant while thoroughly cleaning any plaque build-up.
However, you can also take some measures to take care of the implants and increase their durability. Here are some home care tips to care for the dental implants.
Maintaining Single Implants
- Use a soft bristle tooth brush to clean the implants at least twice a day.
- Use a tooth paste that is low abrasive. Your dentist will prescribe a tooth paste to maintain the implants.
- Brush the area around and under the crown or artificial tooth. This will help to remove any food particles and prevent plaque build-up.
- Use an interdental brush with Nylon coating to clean the difficult to reach areas in the mouth.
- Floss at least once in day with an implant-specific floss or unwaxed floss.
- Use an oral irrigator recommended by your dentist.
- Remove the dentures and soak them in a denture specific cleaning solution.
- Inspect the O-rings, locator caps and other equipment regularly. Alert your dentist for dental implants in Limerick if you observe any worn out or missing parts.
- Use a denture brush to brush the underside of the denture.
- Rinse the overdenture thoroughly with water after every meal.
It is essential to take proper care of the implants and overdentures to ensure their success and longevity. Taking proper efforts to maintain the overall dental hygiene will help you to avoid gum diseases and other conditions such as peri-implantitis, which influence the success of your dental implants.
Follow the aftercare tips given by your dental implants in Limerick expert to ensure that your implants are successful and last for a lifetime.